Temporary Registration Weight Increase Permits
Commercial drivers and commercial vehicle companies have options when they need weight increase permits for vehicles registered for over 80,000 pounds.
A 30, 60 or 90-day temporary weight increase permit is available at any Minnesota Deputy Registrar office or can be requested by fax.
- Visit a Deputy Registrar:
- Search for a local office on the Office Locations page
- Enter a starting address or Zip Code
- Select “Vehicle Titling and Registration including Tab Renewals” from the services list
- Click “Find Office Locations” to see a list of deputy registrar offices
- Request by Fax:
If the carrier is already registered in excess of 80,000 pounds and does not intend to carry a load in excess of their registered weight, a permit is not required.
How to Obtain a MnDOT Overweight Hauling Permit for a Vehicle Weighing Over 80,000 Pounds
An overweight permit issued by MnDOT is required for a vehicle weighing in excess of 80,000 pounds that travels on interstate or state trunk highways.
If traveling on city, township, or county roads, a permit must be obtained from that government entity.