DVS Logo

Driver and Vehicle Services

A Division of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety

Temporary Registration Weight Increase Permits

Commercial drivers and commercial vehicle companies have options when they need weight increase permits for vehicles registered for over 80,000 pounds.

A 30, 60 or 90-day temporary weight increase permit is available at any Minnesota Deputy Registrar office or can be requested by fax.

  • Visit a Deputy Registrar:
    • Search for a local office on the Office Locations page
    • Enter a starting address or Zip Code
    • Select “Vehicle Titling and Registration including Tab Renewals” from the services list
    • Click “Find Office Locations” to see a list of deputy registrar offices

  • Request by Fax:

If the carrier is already registered in excess of 80,000 pounds and does not intend to carry a load in excess of their registered weight, a permit is not required.

How to Obtain a MnDOT Overweight Hauling Permit for a Vehicle Weighing Over 80,000 Pounds

An overweight permit issued by MnDOT is required for a vehicle weighing in excess of 80,000 pounds that travels on interstate or state trunk highways.

If traveling on city, township, or county roads, a permit must be obtained from that government entity.