Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Back to Search Steps

Driver's License - Class C - Commercial Driver – Apply


Class C — A single-unit vehicle, 26,000 pounds GVWR or less, with one or more of the following endorsements:

  • Hazardous Materials
  • Passenger
  • School bus (with passenger endorsement)

Your license may be restricted to the size and type of vehicle you use for the road test. Unless the CMV used for testing has air brakes, you will be restricted to driving vehicles without air brakes, even if you passed the air brake knowledge test.

Requirements effective May 4, 2015:

Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) Changes
  • To apply for a CLP, Minnesotans currently must:
    • pass a(multiple) knowledge test(s); and
    • hold a state Minnesota driver’s license.
  • Beginning May 4, Minnesotans will ALSO need the following in order to apply:
    • Proof of citizenship or permanent residency (U.S. passport, birth certificate, permanent residency card). If the name on your U.S. passport, birth certificate or permanent residency card has changed you must also present proof of your legal name change(s). Acceptable proof consists of certified marriage certificates, certified divorce decrees or other certified court orders. Divorce decrees or other court orders must specify the name change. Your identity and name change documents need to show a clear link between your citizenship or permanent residency document and your current name.
    • Valid Medical Examiner Certificate (if applicable)
  • CLP holders will be required to have their permit for 14 calendar days before taking the CDL road test (The 14-day waiting period will not apply to those who received their CLP between now and May 1).
  • CLP holders will be subject to the same disqualifying offenses as CDL holders. This includes alcohol use, drug use and traffic violations.
Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Changes
  • Beginning in July, CDL holders renewing their license will also need to provide proof of citizenship or permanent residency.
  • There will also be new restrictions on commercial vehicles used for the CDL road test, effective May 4, 2015:
    • Drivers taking the CDL test in a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) with an automatic transmission will not be allowed to operate a CMV with a standard transmission.
    • If a driver does not take the road test in a tractor-semi-trailer, they will be restricted to other Class A vehicle combinations.
    • Drivers taking the road test to earn a passenger or school bus endorsement will be restricted to the size of bus.


Policies and Procedures
Related News



Driver and Vehicle Services – Central Office
Town Square Building
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 190
Saint Paul, MN 55101-5190


Driver Services


Commercial Driver’s License: (651) 297-5029
Commercial DL Disqualification: (651) 205-4086
Driver’s License Status: (651) 284-2000 or online
Office Locations: (651) 297-2005
Driver’s Licenses: (651) 297-3298
Schedule a Skills (Road) Test: (651) 284-1000 or online
Assistance for Hearing Impaired Callers (TDD/TTY): (651) 282-6555