Use the search steps below to
locate the desired information.
Driver’s License – Enhanced Driver’s License
Minnesota residents are now able to apply for an enhanced version of their driver’s license or identification card that will allow re-entry into the United States via land and sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean.
In addition to serving as a driver’s license or ID card, the enhanced driver’s license (EDL) and the enhanced identification card (EID) are among the federally-approved border-crossing documents required under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI
The cards must denote citizenship and identity and contain technology and security features approved by the secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security. Only Minnesota residents who are also United States citizens and at least 16 years of age may apply for an Enhanced Driver’s License or Enhanced Identification Card. An EDL/EID must be mailed to the Minnesota residential address that appears on the EDL/EID card.
What is an EDL/EID?
- An EDL/EID can be used as a cross-border travel document (in lieu of a passport) to re-enter the U.S. by land and sea, from Canada, Mexico, and some countries in the Caribbean.
- An EDL/EID denotes both identity and citizenship, in accordance with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).
- An EDL/EID is not valid for international air travel.
- An EDL/EID has a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip embedded in the card.
- The RFID contains only biographical information and a photo. It does not include any biometric data (e.g. fingerprints, facial recognition, etc.)
- Several states already offer EDL/EID’s.
- Minnesotans may opt for, but are not required, to obtain an EDL/EID.
- An EDL/EID must be mailed to the Minnesota residential address that appears on the EDL/EID card.
You can apply for an EDL or EID at any time:
- At the time your current driver license or ID is due for renewal
- First time application for your driver’s license (and learner’s permit) or non-driver photo ID card
- Replace your current driver’s license prior to the date you are due for renewal, with no change in the expiration date of your license
- At time of application: You will be asked to complete an Interview Questionnaire; please allow extra time when applying. An application takes between 4-6 weeks to process.
- Identification Documentation for EDL/EID-Must provide proof of: Date of Birth, Full Legal Name, Social Security Number, Photographic Identity, United States Citizenship and Minnesota Residency. View EDL/EID Identification Requirements (PDF).
Renewing an EDL or EID:
- Additional documentation is only required if you are changing your name or Minnesota residence address. You will be required to provide Proof of Full Legal Name & Proof of Minnesota Residency. View EDL/EID Identification Requirements (PDF).
Where to apply or renew an EDL or EID:
- Driver License Exam Stations: Anoka, Arden Hills, Austin, Bemidji, Detroit Lakes, Duluth, Eagan, Hastings, Mankato, Plymouth, Rochester, St. Paul, St. Cloud, Virginia.
- Office location information is available by phone at (651) 297-2005 or online
ii. Learn More