MNLARS replaces Driver and Vehicle Services' (DVS) 30-year-old, mainframe information system.
DVS and MN.IT Services - the state's information technology agency - is responsible for internal governance, oversight and development of the project.
MNLARS changes the way DVS does business, enhancing driver's licensing, dealer licensing and vehicle title and registration.
- Data collection activities will be simplified and automated, increasing the accuracy of data capture and improving data integrity.
- MNLARS will link 6.4 million vehicle records with 4.1 million driver records.
- Duplicate data-entry will be minimized as business processes are streamlined to allow faster production of titles and licenses.
- Access to the system is specific to the user's role, improving security and reducing opportunities for fraud.
- Most data exchanges will be accomplished in near-real time, eliminating system "downtime" while records update; DVS business partners, law enforcement and customers will have up-to-date information.
The first phase of MNLARS was implemented in 2014.
MNLARS will replace the current mainframe for the following DVS operations:
- Driver licensing
- Driver compliance
- Vehicle title and registration
- Dealer licensing and inspection
- Inventory, finance, and records
Funding for the Project
In 2008, the Minnesota Legislature authorized a technology surcharge to fund the MNLARS project. In 2011, the legislature authorized additional funding, including an extension of the technology surcharge.
- The technology surcharge is applied to most motor vehicle and driver's license transactions
- Surcharge of $1.75 was effective July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2012
- On July 1, 2012, the surcharge was reduced to $1 and remains effective through June 30, 2016
- Effective July 1, 2011, $1.50 of each filing fee collected by DVS on motor vehicle transactions will go to the DVS technology account. This does not apply to filing fees collected by deputy registrar offices
- In fiscal year 2013, there was a one-time transfer of $7.1 million from DVS special revenue accounts to the DVS technology account