MNLARS is based on the Hewlett-Packard (HP) DMV Solution, and over a four-year period will integrate and streamline licensing and vehicle title, registration and inspection processes.
At the core of MNLARS is the ability to collect information upon (or close to) initial customer contact and the exchange of data in near-real time.
MNLARS will be developed and implemented in four releases. Each release will have several work streams. This incremental approach optimizes DVS and HP resources, creates a rich development environment, and allows work on releases to be conducted in parallel.
Funding for the Project
In 2008, the Minnesota Legislature authorized a technology surcharge to fund the MNLARS project. In 2010, the legislature authorized additional funding, including an extension of the technology surcharge.
- The technology surcharge is applied to most motor vehicle and driver's license transactions
- Surcharge of $1.75 was effective July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2012
- On July 1, 2012, the surcharge was reduced to $1 and remains effective through June 30, 2016
- Effective July 1, 2011, $1.50 of each filing fee collected by DVS on motor vehicle transactions will go to the DVS technology account. This does not apply to filing fees collected by deputy registrar offices
- In fiscal year 2013, there will be a one-time transfer of $7.1 million from DVS special revenue accounts to the DVS technology account