Decals may be purchased for the current year and one preceding year. Decals for the following year will be available November 15 of each year. Please use the Decal Order Form and specify for what year you are requesting decals. It is preferred, but not required, that you complete the form electronically; then print and mail it.
For the security of all parties, credit card orders for inspection decals must be made in person or via U.S. Mail. In order to protect your credit card and personal information, email and faxed orders cannot be accepted. The address for purchasing decals is printed on the decal order form.
Updated Inspection Handbook
The 2019 Certified Inspector Student Handbook is available for download. If you are a certified inspector, we recommend you download a copy of the handbook, as well as the 2019 Mandatory Inspection Program Update. The update summarizes the revisions to the inspection criteria contained in the handbook, in addition to recent changes in policies governing the MIP.
New Inspection Form
The Periodic Vehicle Inspection Form has undergone some minor revisions. The newest form, with a revision date of 01/01/2019, is the only form approved for use beginning March 1, 2019. You may download a copy of either the traditional handwritten form or an electronic form, from the links below.
What vehicles must be inspected?
Minnesota Statute 169.781 requires commercial motor vehicles to be inspected annually and display an annual inspection decal. For purposes of the annual inspection, a commercial motor vehicle is:
- a vehicle or combination of vehicles having a gross vehicle weight greater than 26,000 pounds;
- a bus; or
- a vehicle, regardless of size, that transports a quantity of hazardous materials requiring the vehicle to display placards; or
- a self-propelled special mobile equipment mounted on a commercial motor vehicle chassis with a gross vehicle weight more than 26,000 pounds
A Minnesota-registered commercial motor vehicle housed and maintained in another state that has been inspected in accordance with federal regulations, may be eligible for a certificate of compliance. Please see the documents linked below.
A covered farm vehicle is not required to be inspected and is not required to display an annual inspection decal. However, if requested by the owner, a certified inspector may conduct an inspection and affix an official annual inspection decal.
Who may perform an annual inspection?
A required inspection may be performed only by:
- An employee of the Department of Public Safety (DPS) or Transportation (MnDOT) who has been certified by the commissioner of public safety after having received training provided by the State Patrol;
- Another person who is not an employee of DPS or MnDOT certified by the commissioner if the person is:
- An owner, or employee of the owner, of one or more commercial motor vehicles that are power units;
- A dealer licensed under section 168.27 and engaged in the business of buying and selling commercial motor vehicles, or an employee of the dealer;
- Engaged in the business of repairing and servicing commercial motor vehicles.
How do I become a certified inspector?
The Minnesota State Patrol partners with several technical colleges and the Minnesota Trucking Association to provide inspector certification and re-certification courses. All certification courses are held at the Minnesota State Patrol Commercial Vehicle Section headquarters in Mendota Heights, Minnesota. To register for a class, see the 2020 certification calendar.
Inspectors are required to recertify every two years. Recertification must be completed before the expiration date of your certification. Once your certification expires, you are no longer able to perform inspections. If you do not successfully complete a recertification course within six months following the expiration of your certification, you must successfully complete the full certification course to be reinstated. To register for recertification, contact the approved course provider nearest you.
What if I have additional questions about annual inspections?
For answers to your MIP questions, call 651-350-2000, Option 2, or email email@example.com.
Forms and Publications
The following PDF forms may not be filled out online. Where applicable, they may be filled out, printed, and mailed or emailed to the addresses indicated on the forms.