The Minnesota Mandatory Inspection Program Certified Inspector Student Handbook is available. It may be downloaded from the Forms and Publications list at the bottom of this page. In addition to the updated handbook, the following forms have been updated:
Minnesota Statute 169.781 requires commercial motor vehicles to be inspected annually and display an annual inspection decal. For purposes of the annual inspection, a commercial motor vehicle is:
- a vehicle or combination of vehicles having a gross vehicle weight greater than 26,000 pounds;
- a bus; or
- a vehicle, regardless of size, that transports a quantity of hazardous materials requiring the vehicle to display placards; or
- a self-propelled special mobile equipment mounted on a commercial motor vehicle chassis with a gross vehicle weight more than 26,000 pounds
As of August 1, 2014, a covered farm vehicle is not required to be inspected and is not required to display an annual inspection decal. Certified inspectors may conduct an inspection and affix a decal if requested by the owner of the farm vehicle.
A required inspection may be performed only by:
- An employee of the Department of Public Safety (DPS) or Transportation (MnDOT) who has been certified by the commissioner of DPS after having received training provided by the State Patrol;
- Another person who is not an employee of DPS or MnDOT certified by the commissioner if the person is:
- An owner, or employee of the owner, of one or more commercial motor vehicles that are power units;
- A dealer licensed under section 168.27 and engaged in the business of buying and selling commercial motor vehicles, or an employee of the dealer;
- Engaged in the business of repairing and servicing commercial motor vehicles.
The Minnesota State Patrol partners with several technical colleges and the Minnesota Trucking Association to provide inspector certification and re-certification courses. All certification courses are held at the Minnesota State Patrol Commercial Vehicle Section headquarters in Mendota Heights, Minnesota. To register for a class, see the 2016 certification calendar.
Inspectors are required to recertify every two years. To register for recertification, contact the approved course provider nearest you.
For answers to your MIP questions, call 651-405-6196, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forms and Publications
The following PDF forms may not be filled out online. Where applicable, they must be printed, filled out, and mailed or emailed to the addresses indicated on the forms.