Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Emergency Fund

What is the Emergency Fund?

The Emergency Fund Grant Program was established by the legislature in 1996. Through this program, small grants are distributed to 70 local victim assistance programs throughout the state. Grant funds are used to meet the emergency needs of crime victims.

What types of expenses are covered by these funds?

Emergency assistance includes, but is not limited to, the following expenses:

  • Replacement of necessary property that was lost, damaged, or stolen as a result of a crime;
  • Purchase and installation of necessary home security devices;
  • Transportation to locations related to the victim’s needs as a victim, such as medical facilities and facilities of the criminal justice system;
  • Cleanup of a crime scene;
  • Reimbursement for reasonable travel and living expenses that the victim incurred to attend court proceedings that were held at a location other than the place where the crime occurred due to the change in venue;
  • Reimbursement of towing and storage fees incurred due to impoundment of a recovered stolen vehicle.

Victims of crime have received funding through this program for items such as repairing a broken door, installing new locks, and replacing clothing or bedding taken as evidence.
(If you were a victim of a violent crime, and have expenses other than those listed above, please see the information on our website about Crime Victims Reparations.)

How does a crime victim apply for funding?

To apply for reimbursement of your expenses, please contact the local victim assistance program that is nearest to your residence. They will explain the process to you and how to complete an application form.  If your local program is out of funding for the year, you may contact another program.

Emergency Fund Program Contacts and Balances