OJP Logo

Office of Justice Programs

A Division of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety

Victim Rights and Resources - English

Rights and Services for All Crime Victims

You have the right to apply for financial help for losses resulting from a violent crime. This assistance does not cover property losses. For application and information, call 651-201-7300. Outside the Twin Cities area call: 888-622-8799 or go to the OJP Website.

You have the right to request that the law enforcement agency withhold public access to data revealing your identity. The law enforcement agency will decide if this is possible.

You have the right, if an offender is charged, to be informed of and participate in the prosecution process, including the right to request restitution (money that is court-ordered from the offender and paid to the victim).

If you feel your rights as a victim have been violated, or if you do not understand your rights or the information presented here contact the Crime Victim Justice Unit at 651-201-7310, 800-247-0390, or cvju.ojp@state.mn.us.


Rights of Domestic Abuse Victims

You can ask the city or county attorney to file a criminal complaint.

You also have the right to go to court and file a  petition requesting an Order for Protection from domestic abuse. The order would include the following:

  • an order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse;
  • an order directing the abuser to leave your household;
  • an order preventing the abuser from entering your home (or a reasonable area around your home), school, business or place of employment;
  • an order awarding you or the other parent custody of/or visitation of your minor child or children; or
  • an order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor if the abuser has a court order to do so.

You also have the right to notification if prosecution of the case is declined or criminal charges are dismissed.

For help in finding local assistance with Orders for Protection or Harassment Restraining Orders, contact:

Minnesota Day One Crisis Line: Call 866-223-1111 or text 612-399-9995. Click here for website.

Finding Help

To find help, CLICK HERE, or contact your local law enforcement agency.


Statutory Notification Requirements for Law Enforcement

Law enforcement officers must distribute an initial notice of rights and resources to all crime victims at first contact. Minnesota Statutes section 611A.02, subd. 2(b).

Law enforcement officers must provide additional information in the initial notice to all domestic abuse victims. Minnesota Statutes section 629.341, subd. 3.