Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

DPS Logo

Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement

Bureau of Criminal Apprehension

Driver and Vehicle Services

Emergency Communication Networks

Homeland Security and Emergency Management

Minnesota State Patrol

Office of Communications

Office of Justice Programs

Office of Pipeline Safety

Office of Traffic Safety

State Fire Marshal


Bruce Gordon, Director of Communications
Lead PIO  000-000-0000
June 22, 2012
Minnesota Storm Damage Update — Number 15
Discover a Petroleum Leak or Spill of a Hazardous Substance? Play it Safe: Notify the Minnesota Duty Officer

ST. PAUL — If you live or work in a recently flooded area and happen across a ruptured petroleum or gas line or find petroleum product in a building or outdoors, play it safe: notify the Minnesota Duty Officer.

Taking calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 800-422-0798 or 651-649-5451, the Minnesota Duty Officer’s notifies state agencies, local governmental units, and other parties so they can respond in a timely manner to a spill of petroleum or hazardous material.

“It pays to play it safe when you find a leak of fuel oil, gasoline, diesel fuel, or other petroleum product because these substances are flammable and can pollute our surface waters and still-flooded areas and buildings even more,” said Beth Oman, emergency responder with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency.  “And, even though you may not be sure whether a spill or leak is substantial or constitutes a threat, we want people to play it safe and notify the Minnesota Duty Officer.”


State Emergency Operations Center links:

Contact: Phone:  (651) 201-7477


On the Web:

On Twitter

On Facebook




445 Minnesota Street, Suite 100 | Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101-5155 |