Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

DPS Logo

Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement

Bureau of Criminal Apprehension

Driver and Vehicle Services

Emergency Communication Networks

Homeland Security and Emergency Management

Minnesota State Patrol

Office of Communications

Office of Justice Programs

Office of Pipeline Safety

Office of Traffic Safety

State Fire Marshal


Bruce Gordon, Director of Communications
Lead PIO  (651) 201-7477
June 22, 2012
Minnesota Storm Damage Update 12
Minnesotans in Need of Recovery Assistance or Looking to Help Should Contact Greater Duluth United Way
ST. PAUL — Minnesotans impacted by the recent storms that are in need of recovery assistance, or people who want to volunteer or offer donations, should contact Greater Duluth United Way at
2-1-1 or 1-800-543-7709.  Department of Public Safety (DPS) Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM) officials say the most useful donation in any disaster is money, as funds can be used to purchase the exact goods needed for response and recovery.

Updated Public Information

There are 29 federal, state and supporting partner agencies combining resources to address the Minnesota storm response and recovery.

  • HSEM remains active and involved in the field to assist local officials and emergency responders. Regional program coordinators are deployed in Duluth, Carlton and Pine counties. Regional program coordinators assist local jurisdictions in emergency preparedness as well as response when severe weather hits.
  • HSEM Director Kris Eide yesterday requested assistance from FEMA to conduct preliminary damage assessments in 14 Minnesota counties and the Fond du Lac Band of Ojibwe. The counties are: Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Crow Wing, Dakota, Goodhue, Kandiyohi, Lake, McLeod, Meeker, Pine, Rice, Sibley and St. Louis. The preliminary damage assessment teams will join state and local representatives to begin the process in areas affected by recent storms and flooding throughout the state. Preliminary damage assessment is the first step in determining if Governor Mark Dayton will make a request for a presidential declaration of disaster. Read more about this process.
  • The Minnesota Recovers Task Force convened its first meeting to discuss what state resources are available to support storm-impacted residents to coordinate recovery operations. The Minnesota Recovers webpage provides personal recovery information from state and local authorities.
Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED)

Businesses and displaced workers can secure recovery information from DEED. Businesses that have sustained storm or flood damages should also report them to their local emergency manager.

People who are looking for jobs should visit their local Work Force Center by calling 1-888-GET-JOBS or visit

Duluth Work Force Center:
320 W 2nd Street, Suite 205
Duluth, MN 55802-1406

Cloquet Work Force Center:
Carlton County Government Center, 14 N 11th St
Cloquet, MN 55720-1607

If an individual is unemployed because of a disaster, they may be eligible for regular Unemployment Insurance benefits. Apply online at or by phone at 1-877-898-9090.

Learn more from DEED at

County and City Updates

Carlton County
  • Barnum is completely evacuated — 588 residents.
  • Moose Lake is partially evacuated — 25 households, and officials are urging citizens to boil their water.
  • Thomson is completely evacuated — 167 residents.
Pine County
  • Willow River remains under a boil water order
Citizens with Storm Damage
Minnesota residents with storm damage should report it immediately to their county emergency managers.
  • Aitkin (218) 927-7436
  • Carlton (218) 384-9509
  • Cook (218) 387-3059
  • Crow Wing (218) 825-3445
  • Dakota (651) 438-4703
  • Duluth (city) (218) 730-4390
  • Goodhue (651) 267-2639
  • Kandiyohi (320) 235-5133
  • Lake (218) 226-4444
  • McLeod (320) 864-1339
  • Meeker (320) 693-5400
  • Pine (320) 629-8385
  • Rice (507) 332-6119
  • Sibley (507) 237-4109
  • St. Louis (218) 625-3966
  • Fond du Lac Band of Ojibwe (218) 878-7502
Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT )
I- 35 is now open both north and sound bound through Duluth and the I-35 exit ramp to Moose Lake is also open.

Continued Road Closures
  • Hwy 2 from I-35 to Boundary Avenue in Proctor, closed
  • Hwy 23 from Hwy 39 in New Gary Duluth to just south of the St. Louis River in Fond Du Lac, closed
  • Hwy 61 at Knife River, closed, detour in place
  • Hwy 65 eight miles south of McGregor, from mile markers 107 to 112.6, closed, detour in place
  • Hwy 73 near County Hwy 61 at the south end of Moose Lake, closed
  • Hwy 73 west of Moose Lake and about five miles north of Hwy 27, closed
  • Hwy 73 about three miles north of Floodwood, closed, detour in place
  • Hwy 73 about four miles north of Floodwood, closed, detour in place
  • Hwy 210 through Jay Cooke State Park, closed
  • Hwy 210 from McGregor to Tamarack, closed, detour in place
Shelter Update
  • Duluth: Secondary Technical Center 12 people
  • Cloquet: Fond du Lac Ojibwe School — 130 people
  • Scanlon: Scanlon Community Center — 14 people
Red Cross damage assessment teams are en route to St. Louis and Carlton counties today.

Minnesota Department of Health (MDH)

MDH has created a webpage for health-related flood information:

Department of Commerce
  • At the request of the City of Moose Lake, the Department of Corrections sent offenders and staff from the Willow River challenge Incarceration Program boot camp to assist local homeowners with sandbagging efforts.
  • The Sentencing to Service crew from Cloquet will be working in Esko picking up sandbags along a river as well as sandbagging in the Moose Lake and Barnum area.
  • Crow Wing Sentencing to Service is assisting Aitkin County Sentencing to Service in performing critical infrastructure sandbagging within City of Aitkin
  • Buhl Sentencing to Service is sandbagging along the St. Louis River through the City of Floodwood.
  • St. Louis County Sentencing to Service is sandbagging in Floodwood.
  • Carlton County Sentencing to Service is sandbagging in Moose Lake and St. Louis County.
The Minnesota Department of Commerce Consumer Response Team (CRT) is ready to help consumers in the event of a natural disaster. Insurance experts at the CRT can help Minnesotans understand their rights, work with your insurer to settle a claim, and help storm victims make informed insurance decisions after a flood or storm damages your home, auto, or property.

Contact: (651) 201-7477
On the Web:
On Twitter
On Facebook
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 100 | Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101-5155 |