News Release #1
ST. PAUL — The Minnesota Department of Public Safety Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM) activated the state emergency operations center (SEOC) today at 7:30 a.m. in response to flood and storm-related conditions in the following counties: Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Lake and St. Louis including the Duluth area.
“The SEOC is activated to coordinate planning, operations and public information. The SEOC is in contact with local authorities and stands ready to provide state resources as necessary to keep Minnesotans and our infrastructure safe,” said Kris Eide, HSEM director.
Updated public information:
- The town of Thomson is partially evacuated at this time.
- The city of Duluth is advising the public to limit travel to emergency situations.
- 911 service is out in Lake County. Residents requiring emergency services need to take the following steps:
- If you have a 475 number contact Hovland fire at 218-475-2352
- If you have 663 number call Lutsen at 218-663-7002
- If you have a 388 number call Gunflint 218-388-0313
- The office of Minnesota Management and Budget is reporting all state offices in the executive branch in the city of Duluth will be closed until noon today. Employees and the public are asked to monitor www.bereadymn.com
- The Minnesota Department of Transportation is reporting road closures on its website at www.511mn.org.