Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Reciprocity Information

There are two ways to qualify for reciprocity.
  1. Complete basic police training in another state or federal law enforcement, and work in a law enforcement capacity for three years following basic training and possess a post-secondary degree; or five years following basic training if you do not possess a post-secondary degree. You must have been in law enforcement within the past six years.
  2. Qualify through military police service in the U.S. military. See Military Reciprocity.
The only way to find out for sure if you are eligible is to submit an application for reciprocity. You may print the appropriate application and mail it to POST with the requested documentation and non-refundable fee. This application cannot be submitted by fax or e-mail. Alternately, you may contact the POST board either by phone or e-mail to request that an application be mailed to you. Make sure you choose the appropriate reciprocity application: one is for out-of-state/federal government law enforcement; and the other is for military police experience. Each application and the appropriate memo should enable you to determine whether you are eligible or not, but we need to have a signed application, fee, and supporting documentation to make a final determination.
The following exams are given each Tuesday at 9:00 AM at the POST Board office by appointment only: 

Reinstatement of Eligibility Examination
License Restoration Examination
Reciprocity License Examination

If you have questions, please call the POST Board Offices at 651-643-3060 Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM