Minnesota Statutes, section 624.714, subd. 2a requires permit to carry applicants to present evidence of having received from a certified instructor training in the safe use of a handgun within one year of an original application or renewal.
Certified Firearms Instruction
To qualify for Department of Public Safety approval as an organization authorized to certify instructors, the organization or government agency must meet, maintain and submit the following items:
- Certificate of Good Standing from the Minnesota Secretary of State’s Office issued within 60 days of application (government entities excluded)
- Lesson plan for instructor and student courses that demonstrate that the successful candidates will be able to teach and have received the basic requirements for applicants for permits to carry required by Minnesota Statutes section 624.714, subd. 2a
- Course syllabus, goals, objectives and outlines for instructor and student courses that demonstrate that the successful candidates will be able to teach and have received the basic requirements for applicants for permits to carry required by Minnesota Statutes 624.714, subd. 2a
- Copy of course of fire/qualification to be utilized in both instructor and student courses
- Copy of certificate to be issued by organization to instructors and students
- Copy of current instructor credentials of primary contact or owner
- Written description of how the organization will maintain instructor and student records
- Written description of how organization will maintain proficiency of instruction (including legal updates) and ensure the instructional practices and integrity of instructors
Organizations should use this form: Business Organization Application for Certification of Firearms Instructors. Organizations must be approved by the Department of Public Safety every five years.
The Department of Public Safety is performing website maintenance that is resulting in difficulty accessing the sortable list of approved firearms training businesses. The following link provides approved businesses current as of April 27.
Minnesota Statutes, section 624.714, subd. 2a (d) provides that approved organizations and government entities may grant instructor certificates to individuals who have been certified within the last five years in accordance with Department of Public Safety standards and have received training in a course or courses that at a minimum contained:
- Instruction in the fundamentals of pistol use including mechanical knowledge of handguns and safe practices in shooting, loading, unloading, clearing firearm malfunctions, safe storage and firearm care
- Successful completion of an actual shooting qualification exercise and the ability to evaluate shooting proficiency and safe weapon skills of students in a practical firearm shooting exercise
- Instruction in the legal aspects of pistol possession, carry, and use, including self-defense and the restrictions on the use of deadly force. This should also include the psychological and physiological effects of a violent threat encounter and simple weapon retention techniques
- Instruction on how to maintain records of students seeking a permit to carry a firearm
Firearms trainers/organizations seeking more information should contact Assistant Special Agent in Charge Josh Florell at 651-793-1051 or Joshua.email@example.com.