Homeland Security and Emergency Management

A Division of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety

Homeowners and Renters


If your home or business has received significant damages from a major weather or other event - report it to your local county or city emergency management office for assistance as soon as possible.


Clean-up and Recovery Information

If you are a homeowner or renter looking for flood clean-up and recovery information , please check these resources for helpful information

State Resources

A variety of state and local agencies can provide recovery assistance for both federally declared and non-declared disasters.  Check the agency websites listed below for specific information about their disaster recovery programs.

Minnesota Department of Health

For information on basic health safety and making your home safe to re-enter, visit the Minnesota Department of Health Website 

University of Minnesota

The University of Minnesota Extension service offers an extensive list of general disaster recovery resources and information including telephone Answer Lines for individuals and families. Topics include: housing, finances, health, stress and grief, and children.

Explore a list of general disaster recovery resources for individuals or families on the University of Minnesota Extension Service Websites. 

Minnesota Housing Finance Agency (MHFA)

The MHFA has a variety of housing repair and assistance programs that may assist in disaster recovery. Each of the programs has unique eligibility requirements, terms, and maximum income levels. Contact the agency for further information.

Minnesota Department of Commerce (DOC)

Recovering from a disaster usually begins by filing insurance claims, working with adjusters, and hiring contractors.  It is critical for victims to start this process as soon as possible after a disaster in order for local emergency managers to assess the extent of unmet needs in the community.  All other forms of assistance, including federal, state, non-profit and voluntary normally require insurance claims be filed before any assistance is offered.

The Minnesota Department of Commerce offers a Disaster Information Packet for individuals, homeowners and businesses to help guide them through the insurance and rebuilding process.

The DOC may activate Insurance Disaster Recovery Teams to areas which have been impacted by disaster to work with local insurance providers and to encourage prompt and fair settlement of all claims. Learn more about the insurance process.

The DOC Website also provides guidance on hiring a residential building contractor.  Learn more about hiring a contractor following a disaster.

Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED)

The Minnesota Department of Economic Development Small Cities Development Program helps cities and counties in need of housing, infrastructure and commercial projects that benefit people of low and moderate income. Learn more about the Small Cities Development Program (SCDP).

Minnesota Department of Revenue (DOR)

Taxpayers located in a presidentially declared disaster area can find tax assistance on the Minnesota Dept. of Revenue Website.

Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI)

The Minnesota Dept. of Labor and Industry provides services for manufactured home damage, flood-damaged electrical systems and other code issues following a disaster. Visit the Minnesota Dept. of Labor and Industry Website to learn more.

Federal Resources

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

If the President declares a disaster and authorizes Individual Assistance, FEMA's Individuals and Households Program (IHP) can help qualified homeowners and renters affected by the disaster with housing repair and other necessary expenses.
For more information visit www.DisasterAssistance.gov

Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

HUD normally partners with federal, state and local government agencies to help implement disaster recovery assistance to both individuals and communities.  Typical assistance includes:
  • Mortgage assistance from HUD's Federal Housing Administration (FHA)
  • Assistance from Ginnie Mae
  • Assistance for Public and Indian Housing
  • Community Development and Housing Assistance
For more information visit the HUD Disaster Resources Website.

Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Loan Program

SBA provides low interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private, nonprofit organizations to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery & equipment, inventory and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster.