Stop for School Buses: It's the Law!
State law requires all vehicles to stop for school buses when the bus driver activates the flashing lights and has the stop-arm fully extended.
- Drivers who violate the law face a $500 fine.
- Drivers can face more severe criminal charges for passing a school bus on the right, passing when a child is outside the bus, or injuring or killing a child.
- Motorists must stop at least 20 feet from a school bus that is displaying red flashing lights and an extended stop-arm. Motorists traveling in the opposite direction on a divided roadway are not required to stop .
- Motorists should slow down, pay attention and anticipate school children and buses, especially in neighborhoods and school zones.
- The best way to be aware of your surroundings at all times is to put the distractions away.
- When getting off a bus, look to be sure no cars are passing on the shoulder.
- Wait for the bus driver to signal that it's safe to cross.
- When crossing the street to get on the bus or to go home, make eye contact with motorists before proceeding.
Citations by Year
Annual Stop-Arm Survey
Each year, bus drivers across the state participate in a one-day stop-arm Survey
Learn the school bus essentials. Share this brochure with your students and parents so everyone understands the fundementals of riding the bus safely. Click the image to see the full brochure. Click the title above to learn how to order printed brochures.
Be Ready to Ride
Drivers and students share the responsibility of making the trip to and from school safely. Please watch and share this brief video describing how you can
Be Ready to Ride.
Pre-Trip Inspection Forms
School Bus Pre-trip Inspection Forms
Type III School Bus Pre-trip Inspection Forms
Authorized Criminal History Check Providers
Driver Applicant Affidavit
Medical Waiver Forms for School Bus Drivers
Post-crash Drug & Alcohol Testing Requirements - CDL Holder
Post-crash Inspection Requirements
Request for Presentation
Department of Public Safety Rules and State Laws Pertaining to Pupil Transportation
DVS vehicle inspection checklist (for CDL exam)
Driver Training File Requirements
Notification to Employer of Driving Violation - CDL Holder
Notification to Employer of Suspension, Revocation, Cancelation or Disqualification - CDL Holder
Notification to Employer of Driving Violation - Type III School Bus Driver