Minnesota State Patrol Internships
Qualified students will provide administrative support duties to aid in State Patrol daily operations. Students will be exposed to the day-to-day activities of a trooper and will be introduced to different areas and divisions of the agency.
- Must be attending a regionally accredited college or university, preferably one with a POST approved Professional Peace Officer Education (PPOE) Program. Applicants attending colleges which do not meet this criteria may still be considered on a case by case basis.
- Must possess a valid driver's license or have the proven ability to acquire a license prior to the internship start date. A clean or acceptable driving record will be required.
- Must submit to and pass a driver license and criminal history check.
- Must be enrolled in a class requiring an internship and/or receive course credits for the internship.
- Must agree to be fingerprinted.
Fall Internship: Complete application packet must be received by the last Friday in May.
Summer Internships: Complete application packet must be received by the last Friday in March
Spring Internship: Complete application packet must be received by the last Friday in October.
*Summer internships are subject to district availability each year. Please inquire before submitting your application.
Minnesota State Patrol Summer Academy
The Minnesota State Patrol hosts a Summer Academy for college students interested in a career in law enforcement with MSP. Participants are exposed to the many facets of the Minnesota State Patrol while residing at Camp Ripley where our State Trooper Training Academy takes place. The academy is collegiate in nature, combining classroom and practical experience on the duties of an MSP Trooper. The MSP Summer Academy includes a physical fitness and wellness component geared at encouraging healthy lifestyles and proper preparation for a career as a State Trooper.
To be considered for the MSP Summer Academy, participants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be 18-23 years of age
- Must be currently attending or a recent graduate of a regionally accredited college or university -OR- Must be a current high school senior planning to enroll in a regionally accredited college or university in the Fall of 2020
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must submit to a driver’s license and criminal history check
- Must be willing and medically able to participate in moderately strenuous physical exercise
- Must be a U.S. citizen
Unfortunately, the 2021 summer academy is cancelled. We look forward to the 2022 summer academy!
Minnesota State Patrol Explorer Post
The State Patrol Explorer Post is seeking new members between the ages of 14-20. Explorers gain insight into the field of law enforcement and are challenged through training sessions, skills competitions and through leadership opportunities throughout the year.
Looking to join? Our next Explorer First Nighter for new members will occur on September 8, 2021 at:
MN National Guard-AHATS-Training Facility
4761 Hamline Ave N
Arden Hills, MN 55112
Becoming an explorer offers young people (ages 14–20) an opportunity to closely work with Minnesota State Patrol Troopers and learn about a career in law enforcement as a State Trooper.
- Explorers participate in ride-alongs, wear uniforms similar to troopers, and train in a variety of activities including: crash investigation, traffic stops, crime scene search, bomb threat response, firearms and more.
- Explorers meet every Wednesday during the school year from 6:15–8:30 p.m. in Golden Valley, Minn.
- Explorer Posts compete against other law enforcement agencies on a state and national level.
Highschool Mentorship Program
The Minnesota State Patrol hosts a mentorship-recruitment program. The program is designed for high school seniors who are interested in a career in law enforcement.
Participants are exposed to the many facets of the Minnesota State Patrol while attending high school. The mentorship takes place every other Saturday from February-May and may lead to an internship or summer academy opportunity which will give hiring preference (gives the applicant higher consideration during Trooper application process). The mentorship program consists of exciting field experience on the duties of an MSP Trooper. This program is currently offered in the following districts:
Unfortunately, the 2021 mentorship program is cancelled. We look forward to 2022!
District 3100 (St. Louis, Itasca and Koochiching Counties).
Other districts may be participating in the near-future.