The State Patrol offers many opportunities for young people interested in learning about a career in law enforcement as a Minnesota State Trooper.
Minnesota State Patrol Internships
Qualified students will provide administrative support duties to aid in State Patrol daily operations. Students will be exposed to the day-to-day activities of a trooper and will be introduced to different areas and divisions of the agency.
- Must be attending a regionally accredited college or university, preferably one with a POST approved Professional Peace Officer Education (PPOE) Program. Applicants attending colleges which do not meet this criteria may still be considered on a case by case basis.
- Must possess a valid driver's license or have the proven ability to acquire a license prior to the internship start date. A clean or acceptable driving record will be required.
- Must submit to and pass a driver license and criminal history check.
- Must be enrolled in a class requiring an internship and/or receive course credits for the internship.
- Must agree to be fingerprinted.
Fall Internship: Complete application packet must be received by the last Friday in May.
Spring Internship: Complete application packet must be received by the last Friday in October.
Summer Internships: Complete application packet must be received by the last Friday in March.
*Summer internships are subject to district availability each year. Please inquire before submitting your application.
Individual Forms listed below:
2018 Minnesota State Patrol Summer Academy
The Minnesota State Patrol will be hosting another MSP Summer Academy from July 29th thru August 3rd, 2018 at Camp Ripley Training Facility in Little Falls, Minn. Participants will be exposed to the many facets of the Minnesota State Patrol while residing at Camp Ripley where our State Trooper Training Academy takes place. The MSP Summer Academy will be collegiate in nature, combining classroom and practical experience on the duties of an MSP Trooper. The MSP Summer Academy will also have a physical fitness and wellness component geared at encouraging healthy lifestyles and proper preparation for a career as a State Trooper.
To be considered for the MSP Summer Academy, participants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be 18-23 years of age
- Must be currently attending or a recent graduate of a regionally accredited college or university -OR- Must be a current high school senior planning to enroll in a regionally accredited college or university in the Fall of 2018
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must submit to a driver’s license and criminal history check
- Must be willing and medically able to participate in moderately strenuous physical exercise
- Must be a U.S. citizen
Application Due Date: March 30, 2018
to print the 2018 MSP Summer Academy application.
Minnesota State Patrol Explorer Post
The State Patrol Explorer Post is seeking new members between the ages of 14-20. Explorers gain insight into the field of law enforcement and are challenged through training sessions, skills competitions and through leadership opportunities throughout the year.
Looking to join? Our next Explorer First Nighter for new members will occur in September of 2019. Check back for updated information this Summer!
Becoming an explorer offers young people (ages 14–20) an opportunity to closely work with Minnesota State Patrol troopers and learn about a career in law enforcement as a State Trooper.
- Explorers participate in ride-alongs, wear uniforms similar to troopers, and train in a variety of activities including: crash investigation, traffic stops, crime scene search, bomb threat response, firearms and more.
- Explorers meet every Wednesday during the school year from 6:15–8:30 p.m. in Golden Valley, Minn.