The State Patrol offers many opportunities for young people interested in a career in law enforcement.
Qualified students will provide administrative support duties to aid in State Patrol daily operations. Students will be exposed to the day-to-day activities of a trooper and will be introduced to different areas and divisions of the agency.
- Must be attending a college/university that meets the accreditation criteria as a Criminal Justice/POST (Police Officer Standards and Training)-approved school.
- Must possess a valid driver's license or have the proven ability to acquire a license prior to the starting date. A clean or acceptable driving record will be required.
- Must submit to and pass a driver license/criminal history check.
- Must be enrolled in a class requiring an internship and/or receive course credits for internship.
- Must be attending a regionally accredited Criminal Justice and/or POST approved college or university. Applicants attending colleges which don’t meet this criteria will also be considered, but preference will be given to POST accredited colleges or universities.
- Must possess a valid driver's license or have the proven ability to acquire one prior to the starting date. A clean or acceptable driving record will be required.
- Must submit to and pass a driver’s license/criminal history check.
- Must agree to be fingerprinted.
Download, complete and submit the following internship application materials:
Individual Forms listed below:
Fall Internship: complete application packet must be received by last Friday in May.
Spring Internship: complete application packet must be received by last Friday in October.
MSP Summer Academy
The Minnesota State Patrol will be hosting the MSP Summer Academy from July 30th - August 4th, 2017 at Camp Ripley Training Facility in Little Falls, Minn. Participants will be exposed to the many facets of the Minnesota State Patrol while residing at Camp Ripley. The MSP Summer Academy will be collegiate in nature, combining classroom and practical experience on the duties of an MSP Trooper. The MSP Summer Academy will also have a physical fitness and wellness component geared at encouraging healthy lifestyles and proper preparation for the physical fitness test component of our State Trooper hiring process.
To be considered for the MSP Summer Academy, participants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be 18-23 years of age (Must be 18 by July 30th, 2017)
- Must be currently attending or a recent graduate of a regionally accredited college or university -OR- Must be a current high school senior planning to enroll in a regionally accredited college or university in the Fall of 2017
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Must submit to a driver’s license and criminal history check
- Must be willing and medically able to participate in moderately strenuous physical exercise
- Must be a U.S. citizen
***Please submit all required materials together, incomplete applications will not be considered
The 2017 MSP Summer Academy application deadline is Friday, March 3rd. Acceptance notifications will be made on Monday, April 3rd.
Becoming an explorer offers young people (ages 14–20) an opportunity to closely work with Minnesota State Patrol troopers.
- Explorers participate in ride-alongs, wear uniforms similar to troopers, and train in a variety of activities including: bomb threat response; crash investigation; crime scene search; fire arms; hostage negotiation; traffic stops; crime scene search; and more.
- Explorers meet every Wednesday from 6:15–8:30 p.m. in Golden Valley, Minn.