DVS Logo

Driver and Vehicle Services

A Division of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety

New to Minnesota

To drive legally in Minnesota, you have 60 days after becoming a Minnesota resident in which to apply for your Minnesota driver's license or permit. (Commercial drivers have 30 days.)

Access and print a PDF version of this page.


Get Your Minnesota License


  • If you have a valid driver’s license from another U.S. state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Virgin Islands, Guam, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Northern Mariana or Canada you must pass a knowledge test about Minnesota driving laws and regulations.
  • If your license has been expired for more than one year, you must pass a skills (driving) test.
  • If you have moved to Minnesota from a country other than the ones listed above, you must pass both the knowledge test and the skills test.

You Will Need To 

  • Complete a Minnesota driver’s license application and provide your social security number. 
  • Present one primary and one secondary form of identification.
  • Present your driver’s license from your previous state; this will be invalidated and returned to you if the road test is waived.
  • Provide proof of passing the appropriate testing requirements.
  • Pass a vision screening and have a photo taken.
  • Pay appropriate Class D fees (see Current Fees). 

Apply for a Minnesota ID Card

Visit a visit a licensing office or exam station to apply for  Minnesota ID card.
As a new Minnesota resident you must present:
  • One primary and one secondary identification document (See accepted forms of identification).
    • The primary document must include your full name and the month, day and year of your birth.
    • Documents not in English must be accompanied by a qualified English translation.
    • Documents are subject to verification and may not be accepted if laminated or otherwise altered.
    • If you are a temporary U.S. resident, you may need to show additional proof of your lawful admission period, such as Form I-20, DS-2019, I-797 or other official immigration document or receipt.

Read more about Minnesota ID cards. 


Register Your Vehicle in Minnesota

You Will Need

  • A current vehicle title; if the title is not available you'll need the current registration card.
  • The name and address of any current lien holders.
  • The odometer reading on your vehicle.
  • A driver’s license or other acceptable form of identification.

If you are leasing the vehicle, a copy of the lease agreement or a power of attorney from the leasing company, and the company’s Minnesota Tax ID number.

You must pay appropriate fees which include: 

  • Title fee - Typically averages $30
  • Registration tax - Depends on the type and age of the vehicle

Insurance Requirements

When you register a vehicle in Minnesota, you are attesting that the vehicle is properly insured. The Minnesota No-Fault Act requires owners of registered motor vehicles to maintain no-fault insurance. Drivers are also required to carry proof of insurance in the vehicle at all times and to provide it to peace officers upon demand.