DVS Logo

Driver and Vehicle Services

A Division of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety

Buying or Selling a Motor Vehicle

Minnesota issues certificates of title on cars, trucks, motorcycles, buses, vans and large trailers. Except in special situations, the transfer of ownership must take place on the certificate of title. Minnesota does not title utility, boat or snowmobile trailers with a gross vehicle weight less than 3,000 pounds unless there is a lien on the trailer or the trailer has been previously titled.


How do I transfer vehicle ownership?

By Mail

When Minnesota or another state has issued a certificate of title on a vehicle, the transfer of ownership must be recorded on the certificate of title and the title submitted with transfer fees by mail to DVS.
Mail to:
Driver and Vehicle Services - Central Office
Town Square Building
445 Minnesota Street, Suite 187
Saint Paul, MN 55101-5187

In Person

You may transfer the ownership of a motor vehicle at any of the nearly 200 deputy registrar offices located throughout the state. Find office locations and hours online or call (651) 297-2005.


More Details 

Details about transferring a vehicle title>>

The Automobiles page and "Car Handbook" on the Office of the Attorney General website provides materials regarding flooded or salvaged used cars, optional products when buying a car, Cars for Charity, tips for selecting a mechanic, renting a car, and several other car-related topics.​