Formal Request for Data

The Minnesota Government Data Practices Act gives members of the public, the right to see and/or have copies of public data that the Department of Public Safety (DPS) keeps. The law also controls how we keep government data and what we tell ​you when you ask to see the data that we have.

Requests to receive public information can be made over the phone, in person, through the mail or via email. Any Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) data requests must be submitted in writing (via email or by completing a BCA data request form), due to high volume.

If it is not possible to give you the information in the way you ask, we will contact you to decide on another way to give you the information you asked for. If your request is complicated or we do not fully understand your request, we may require that you make your request in writing.

How to Request Public Data 

Important Information for Subjects of Government Data

*If you are requesting driver and vehicle information (such as information on your driving record, title documents and other data), contact the Records Unit at (651) 296-2940.

*If you are from a media organization, contact the Office of Communications.​​