Back to Search Steps
DWI Offense - Restriction Removal
Effective July 1, 2011, the procedure for removing the restriction "ANY USE OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS INVALIDATES LICENSE" from a driver's license after 10 years is now available.
Policies and Procedures
Restriction Removal - Effective July 1, 2011
Steps for removing the ‘ANY USE OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS INVALIDATES LICENSE’ restriction after 10 years:
- A person may request removal, in writing, of the ‘ANY USE OF ALCOHOL OR DRUGS INVALIDATES LICENSE’ restriction on the driver’s license and driving record after 10 years by filling out the Restriction Removal Notification form and faxing it to (651) 797-1298.
- To be eligible to have the restriction removed, a person must have:
- Not consumed alcohol within the past ten years;
- Not possessed or used a controlled substance within the past ten years; and
- Not had an impaired driving incident within the past ten years.
- A background check of the past 10 years will be conducted, with the assistance of local law enforcement, to verify eligibility.
- A person applying for removal of the restriction will be notified in writing if the application was approved or denied.
- A person eligible for removal of the restriction may submit their approval letter to a driver’s license office along with an application for a duplicate license at the person’s own expense in order to remove the restriction.