Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

What's New

Recent Driver and Vehicle Services News  

DVS Owatonna Exam Station to Temporarily Close

Owatonna’s driver exam station will close for a one-year remodeling project beginning April 30.
During the remodeling, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) Faribault exam station located at 1105 W. Division St. will extend its days of service.
The Faribault Exam Station will be open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. beginning April 30.
To Schedule your road test appointment
Knowledge tests are also available on a walk-in basis up to 45 minutes prior to closing.
Find an exam station
  • Visit and select “Locations” on the homepage
  • Call 651-297-2005


St. Paul Como Vehicle Inspection Site Move

The St. Paul Como Vehicle Inspection site will permanently move to 222 Starkey Street on March 31 and begin vehicle inspections on April 1.

Customers arriving at the new vehicle inspection site are advised to park in the large parking lot, as parking is not allowed in the small lot adjacent to the building.

To schedule your vehicle inspection at this site, call 651-282-2173. Review the Schedule of Vehicle Inspections for hours of operation.


How to Request an Audit on Access of your Driver’s License Information

Complete and submit the Audit Request Form to Driver and Vehicle Services, Data Services. Read more on requesting an audit of your driver's license or motor vehicle information.


Enhanced Driver's License and Identification Cards Now Available

Minnesotans can now apply for an enhanced version of their driver’s license or identification card. The enhanced cards allow re-entry into the United States from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean through land and sea ports.

To qualify you must be a U.S. citizen, a Minnesota resident and at least 16 years old. For more information or to learn how to apply, read the news.

New Public Safety Laws Take Effect Jan. 1

Minnesotans will see changes in some DPS transactions in the New Year.

Among the changes are an increase in driver’s license filing fees for Minnesota driver’s license, identification card and Class D instruction permit holders, a Wheelage Tax increase for some Minnesota vehicle owners and scrap vehicle operators being required to install and maintain video cameras at each location.

Laws affecting DVS
  • Upon approval by the county government, Wheelage Tax increase from $5 to $10. The collection of Wheelage tax is also expanded to any county statewide that wants to participate.
  • Scrap vehicle operators are required to install and maintain a video camera or still digital surveillance camera at each location capturing a clear and readily identifiable image of the face of each seller of a scrap vehicle as well as a photograph the seller's vehicle, including the license plate.
  • The driver’s license filing fees increases from $5 to $8.

Affected Driver License Transactions:

  • First time and renewal driver’s license (all classes)
  • Duplicate driver’s license (all classes)
  • Identification card (all types)
  • Class D instruction permit   

Commercial Drivers Required to Certify by January 2014

Commercial drivers must provide a self-certification form to maintain valid driving privileges. The deadline to complete a self-certification form is Jan. 30, 2014.
Commercial drivers engaging in non-exempt interstate and intrastate drivers must provide a current medical examiner’s certification along with any waivers required in addition to the self-certification form to maintain commercial driver status. Exempt interstate and intrastate drivers do not need to provide a medical examiner’s certificate but do need to complete a self-certification form.
To learn more about the self-certification process, visit the Commercial Driver License Medical Self-Certification page.

Wheelage Tax Increase Effective Jan. 1, 2014

Effective January 1, 2014, the Minnesota Wheelage Tax will increase to $10 and will be imposed annually on motor vehicles registered in counties that have approved the tax.

There are 43 counties that have notified DVS that they will impose the tax, in addition to four counties that already impose the tax.

Anoka County, which currently has the Wheelage Tax, will discontinue the tax beginning January 1.

For a complete list of counties, visit the Wheelage Tax Page.

Your Vehicle Title 

- To find out when your title will be issued, go to the Title Issuing Schedule and find a statement like this: As of April 14, 2014 DVS is working on title applications received on approximately March 19, 2014. This statement on the Title Issuing Schedule page is updated every Monday to reflect the latest date for title application processing.

If for some reason (such as an impending sale) you absolutely must receive your vehicle title sooner than the DVS schedule indicates, go to our Fast Track Fact Sheet and follow the instructions.


The website “” is a private business organization and is in no way affiliated with the Driver and Vehicle Services Division of the Department of Public Safety. You are not able to renew your drivers license or register your vehicle on this website! The website charges a fee to purchase a guide, not a license.

To renew your license, register your vehicle, and other service, you must visit an official DVS agent or deputy registrar’s office. Do not pay money for license renewals, tabs or other services to any unauthorized organization.

For official information from the state’s Driver and Vehicle Services Division, visit the homepage.