Office of Traffic Safety

A Division of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety

Border States

Rider Training and Testing — Motorcycle License  

Border State Residents

  • Iowa will accept an out-of-state Basic Rider Course (BRC) completion card for licensure, but often will require a retest.

  • North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin will accept an out-of-state BRC completion card for licensure.

Minnesota Residents

Minnesotans who complete a BRC in any other state are not able to waive the Minnesota motorcycle skills test to obtain the Minnesota motorcycle license endorsement. Either the BRC will need to be completed again in Minnesota or the rider will need to pass the riding skills test at a DVS exam station.