The State Patrol is an outstanding organization that offers diversity, excitement, and daily challenges. We are always looking for high quality individuals to become state troopers and be a part of the pride, tradition and excellence we represent. The Minnesota State Patrol Ride Along Program is offered as a recruitment tool. Only those who are interested in a career with the Minnesota State Patrol may apply. By participating in a ride along, you are being given a first-hand look into what it's like to be a trooper. The troopers you will be riding along with are exceptional individuals who are dedicated and committed to their jobs and the mission of the State Patrol.
General Program Information:
- The ride along program is used as a recruitment tool for future employment with the Minnesota State Patrol.
- The time and date you complete your ride-along is up to the district and/ or trooper allowing you to ride with them. If you arrange a time but are unable to complete your ride-along, please immediately call the district/trooper to cancel.
- Troopers have the discretion to decide the length of your ride-along. Your ride along can be cut short or discontinued at any time.
- Ride alongs are processed in the order we receive them. At times, there are high demands to take part in a ride along so the wait time may be longer. You will be contacted by the district as soon as they have a trooper available.
Dress Code for Riders
- All articles of clothing must fit properly and be clean and free of rips, tears, holes, frayed edges and missing buttons. Dirty garments and those in disrepair should NOT be worn.
- Jeans are acceptable as long as they fall under the standards outlined above. Sweatpants, shorts, wind pants, scrubs, bib overalls, and exercise apparel should NOT be worn.
- No sleeveless shirts including tank tops, muscle shirts, sleeveless sports attire or men's underwear shirts are to be worn while on the ride along.
- Shoes/boots should be clean. Sandals of any style are NOT allowed.
- Clothing that features obscenity, sexually suggestive or violent language, or demeans any person or group is not allowed.
The following is a list of disqualifiers
we use for our hiring process. The Minnesota State Patrol Ride-Along program is used for recruitment purposes and follows the same list of disqualifiers used in our hiring process. If any of these apply to you, you will NOT be allowed to participate in a ride-along with the State Patrol.
- A felony in Minnesota or any other state or federal jurisdiction.
- Assault in the Fifth Degree under Minnesota Statute §609.224 or relevant statute in any other state or federal jurisdiction.
- Domestic Assault in the Fifth Degree under Minnesota Statute §609.2242
- Crimes listed under Minnesota Statutes §609.23, 609.231, 609.2325, 609.233, 609.2335, 609.234, (Mistreatment, Crimes Against Vulnerable Adults and Related Statutes).
- Prostitution related acts under Minnesota Statutes §609.322, 609.324.
- Presenting False Claims to a Public Officer or Body under Minnesota Statute §609-465.
- Medical Assistance Fraud under Minnesota Statute §609-466.
- Theft under Minnesota Statute §609.52 (any dollar amount).
- Disorderly Conduct as a caregiver under Minnesota Statute §609.72, Subd 3.
- The applicant must not be required to register as a predatory offender under Minnesota Statutes §243.166 or §243.167.
- Under any state or federal narcotics or controlled substance law irrespective of any proceeding under Minnesota Stature §152.18 (discharge or dismissal hearing) or other similar law of another state or federal law; or of any crimes listed in this item in another state or federal jurisdiction, or under a local ordinance that would be a conviction if committed in Minnesota.
- Possession of burglary or theft tools under Minnesota Statute §609.59.
- A crime for which the penalty was enhanced under Minnesota Statute §626.5531(Bias Motivated).
- Any Obstruction of the Legal Process, Arrest, or Firefighting under Minnesota Statute §609.50 within the previous 60 months.
- Leaving the Scene of an Accident within the previous 60 months.
- Any No-Insurance conviction under Minnesota Statutes §169.792 or §65B.48 within the previous 12 months or two convictions within 60 months; or having a driver's license suspended twice for No Insurance within the previous 60 months.
- A Driver's License Suspension, Revocation, Cancellation or Withdrawal for No-Proof of Insurance twice within the previous 60 months.
- Driver's License Revocation under implied consent laws within the last 60 months.
- Misdemeanor or Gross Misdemeanor Driving Under the Influence, Careless or Reckless Driving within the last 60 months.
- Two traffic violations within the previous 12 months, three within the previous 36 months or four or more within the previous 60 months. This includes: continued for dismissal and Dimler violations.
- Driving after suspension, revocation, cancellation or withdrawal in the previous 60 months.
The date used to determine the time period for disqualification for previous offenses is the date the ride along request is processed.
Requirements and Forms:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must have a valid driver's license
- You must complete and submit the following forms:
- Ride Along Request Form
- Please note: This form needs to be typed. We reserve the right to refuse any ride along request that is handwritten, illegible or containing numerous spelling or grammatical errors.
- "Date of Request" is the date in which you are submitting your request.
- A complete paragraph is required on why you are interested in going on a ride along with the Minnesota State Patrol and what you hope to learn.
- Please indicate only one district/area of preference for a ride along.
- Driver’s License/Criminal History Check Form.
- Please note: This form requires an original signature which may require you to print the form and physically sign it. Typed signatures will not be accepted. Photographs of forms will not be accepted.
If you do not complete and return both forms at the time of submission, your request will not be processed. Incomplete ride along requests will not be saved.