OJP Logo

Office of Justice Programs

A Division of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety

Identity Theft

Identity theft occurs when someone uses an individual’s personal information without permission to receive some kind of benefit, most commonly money and property.

Personal data may also be used by an imposter to fraudulently obtain employment, housing, medical care, utility services, education, or to avoid a record of arrest or conviction.   

With increasing reliance on technologies to communicate and conduct business, opportunities for criminals to victimize have multiplied. Individuals need to react quickly to victimization and take preventive steps to ensure their personal data is secure.

The following resources provide guidance on what to do if a person becomes a victim of identity theft as well as resources to assist in responding to and preventing this crime.


Basic Steps to Take if You Are a Victim of Identity Theft


Close Compromised Accounts Immediately

Contact every company where an account has been tampered with or opened fraudulently. Review your credit reports for additional fraudulent accounts. Close them where necessary. Follow up in writing.

File a Police Report

Report the identity theft to your local law enforcement agency. Provide the police with a copy of your FTC complaint and request them to attach it to the police report. Ask for a copy of the report for your records.

When you make a report, request that your name be submitted to the FBI’s NCIC Identity Theft File, which provides a means for law enforcement to flag stolen identities and identify imposters when they are encountered.


Place a Fraud Alert

Place a 90-day fraud alert on your credit report and obtain a copy of your credit report by contacting one of these credit reporting agencies (CRAs). The CRA you contact must notify the others. 
TransUnion: 800-680-7289;  www.transunion.com
Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com 
Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com 

Report Identity Theft

Report the incident to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC):  identitytheft.govor  1-877-FTC-HELP.
Complete the online complaint form and provide a printed copy of it to your local law enforcement agency to be attached to your police report. The report is needed to correct any errors on your credit report or challenge fraudulent transactions. 

Further Steps to Protect Yourself 



Obtain a copy of your credit report periodically and review it carefully. You have a right to one free credit report each year from each credit reporting agency. To request a copy of your credit report, go to www.annualcreditreport.com.

Seven-Year Fraud Alert

Consider placing a seven-year extended fraud alert on your credit report. You must provide a copy of your identity theft report and explain how creditors can contact you. The credit reporting companies will put your contact information on the extended fraud alert to tell potential creditors they must contact you before issuing credit in your name.

Credit Freeze

Consider placing a freeze on your credit. A credit freeze prevents the credit reporting agency from releasing a consumer’s credit report or any information from it without the consumer’s express authorization.
To place a credit freeze, victims must send their request to each of the three nationwide credit reporting agencies along with a police report or police case number documenting identity theft. Keep in mind that if you wish to get credit, you will have to temporarily “unfreeze” your credit.
You can make your request using the Minnesota Department Commerce Credit Report Freeze Request form.
For more information, see the Minnesota Attorney General website.  


Specific Identity Theft Issues


Minnesota Driver’s License or ID Card Taken

If your license or state ID card has been stolen or used improperly, you will need to get a replacement at your local driver’s license office. You can complete a form to request a “driving record flag” that will alert law enforcement officers that someone else may be using your identity. For more information, contact the Minnesota Department of Public Safety Driver and Vehicle Services at 651-297-3298.

Your Name Has Been Used in a Criminal Case

If someone has represented themselves as you in a criminal prosecution, you can go through a process to question the identity on your criminal record available from the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. Click here for information, instructions, and the questioned identity form. 

Additional information on how to deal with criminal identity theft can be found in the Criminal Identity Theft Roadmap.

Someone has Filed a Tax Return in Your Name 

For information on steps to take if an imposter has fraudulently filed a tax return under your name and claimed a refund go to the IRS website (Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft) and the Minnesota Department of Revenue website.
For more information and resources related to tax identity theft, see the Federal Trade Commission website

Report Internet Crimes

Internet crimes, including scams and fraud, can be reported to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).

Report Lost or Stolen Social Security Cards

For information regarding lost or stolen social security cards, go to the Social Security Administration website  or call 800-772-1213. Additional information can be found on the FTC website if you think your social security number has been misused. 

Report Lost or Stolen Passport, Immigration, or Citizenship Documents

If your U.S. passport, naturalization, or citizenship certificate has been lost or stolen, go to the  U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Website or call 1-800-375-5283.  To replace a green card, see the USCIS Website. For information about lost or stolen passports, visas, or arrival/departure records, see the U.S. Department of State Website for information. If you are not a United States citizen, you must contact your consulate to replace your passport.  Some consulates will request a law enforcement report.   

For information about reporting specific identity theft and fraud issues, visit: 


    Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force: StopFraud


Online Resources for Preventing and Responding to Identity Theft 

Federal Resources

Federal Trade Commission

Office for Victims of Crime 


National Resource Centers

Privacy Rights Clearinghouse



Minnesota Attorney General’s Office

Guarding Your Privacy: Tips to Prevent Identity Theft

What to do When your Personal Information Has Been Breached

Minnesota Identity Theft Freeze Law 


LawHelp MN

Writing Identity Theft Letters (Online Do-it-Yourself Tool)



Useful Guides and Forms

Minnesota Identity Theft Road Map     English Spanish

Minnesota Identity Theft Toolkit    Word  |  PDF

Minnesota Criminal Identity Theft Roadmap

Identity Theft Victim Rights    Minnesota  |   Federal

Taking Charge: What to do if Your Identity is Stolen (Federal Trade Commission)

About Identity Theft Protection Services

Victim Recovery Checklists (produced by NCVC and FINRA Foundation)

Child Identity Theft 

Identity Theft and Domestic Abuse