DPS offers funding from the Railroad and Pipeline Safety Account to communities that are interested in emergency response and preparedness training opportunities. To apply, download and complete the application (along with any additional information or supporting documents) and submit for review of your request.
Rail and Pipeline Funding Application
Rail Safety Latest Developments
Investing in Railway Safety
Accidents in nearby states involving trains carrying crude oil have raised concerns over the safety of Minnesota’s railways and the people living near them.
Legislation signed in July 2014 by Governor Mark Dayton requires the Minnesota Department of Public Safety to provide oil transportation awareness trainings to local jurisdictions across the state.
DPS has completed its report outlining Minnesota’s response capabilities
for an oil transportation incident. This report presents key findings on emergency preparedness, training of first responders and recommendations for implementing best practices.
Rail Safety Overview
Rail safety legislation was signed into law by Gov. Mark Dayton in 2014 to help protect those who live and work near railways that carry crude oil and other hazardous materials. The new law includes:
- Increased oversight of railroad companies,
- Requires more railway inspections, and
- Provides for better emergency response training and preparedness in communities across the state
The Minnesota Department of Public Safety is involved in the following ways:
- Working with railroad and pipeline companies in developing safety protocols and facilitating coordination between these companies and local public safety officials.
- Assisting local governments as they include emergency response information into their emergency operations plans.
- Collaborating with local emergency managers and responders to understand the dangers of oil and other hazardous substances traveling through Minnesota.
- Partnering with the Minnesota Department of Transportation, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and the railroads to carry out the rail safety legislation.
Rail Safety Information and Resources